Connect To The Youth In Your Family By Connecting Them To Their Family History


Thursday, February 21, 2013

It works with all ages

 On my way to speak at the Who Do You Think You Are Live conference in London this week I got the opportunity to take my Dad on a Who Do You Think You Are tour.  It was absolutely fantastic.  It was just the two of us and we had a great time together.  It was so wonderful to have some good time with him, and to introduce him to his ancestors in a more real way.

Although Dad has some great scholarly research skills, he hasn't been all that interested in genealogy.  But he was quite impressed.  How could you not be when you are looking at signatures and wax seals that date from before the time of the American Revolution--who are related to you.  I talked about it more on my Chart Chick blog.  I think Dad was impressed. 

Now you may think at this point that this blog is going to be all about taking your family on trips, but that isn't the case.  Family history trips are one of the most incredible ways to engage your family members but they can be long and expensive, especially if your family moved around alot.  Things have just happened to work out that way in my life right now and it has been so fun I've wanted to tell you about it.  But I'm launching the new workbook at the conference this weekend and as soon as I get back, we'll be getting them ready to ship out.  I had the most fantastic time finishing up this workbook and I'm so excited to share with you all the wonderful ideas I found about how to engage your family members with their family history.  Stay tuned.  I'll be sharing them on the blog as well.

I was amazed at how settled I felt this time as we left the area.  The first time I went I longed to share it with my family members.  Now that I've taken my Dad and my children--the other descendants of this line, I feel completed, like I'm ready to move on to another line.  Mom and I are already planning a trip to work on her lines as well--so that's something to look forward to.   What a great adventure family history is.  Something deep in your stomach or your chest that feels good.  What an important thing to give to the next generation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment