Connect To The Youth In Your Family By Connecting Them To Their Family History


Saturday, March 30, 2013

My final take away from the youth activities at RootsTech

So as I've been putting these last blog posts together and talking to my kids about what they thought about the youth classes at RootsTech I've learned two things. 

1. One and possibly two of my teenagers have been to enough presentations about how great family history is for youth and how they should get involved.  They are actually curious and looking for more instruction about how to do research. They've googled and such but I'm hearing a little more curiosity about where the good resources are. 

and
2.  My teenagers don't want to listen to adults teach them about how to do research.  There is some kind of disconnect there.  My kids go to lots of genealogy conferences, but I don't think they're all that excited about going to classes.  I'm going to try again at the upcoming UGA South Davis Family History Fair in a couple of weeks but in general I don't think they want to listen to the adults. 

So.  I just proposed to my son that if he would sit down with me one on one and learn a little more, maybe he should develop some courses that he could submit to conferences for teaching youth.  I think if he would rather go to a class taught by a teenager, maybe he could be talked into teaching other teenagers. 

Hmmmm.  I'll let you know how it goes. 

1 comment:

  1. Our Bishopric just called 4 Youth to be Family History Consultants in our Ward. We already have 4 FH consultants of the older generation. We have been asked to teach the Youth and we each have one to work with. I have been giving this a great deal of thought. How do I make the instructions interesting for my Youth. I think it would be great if some Youth would give us some ideas. I think the Family Tree homepage is very interesting and that is a good guideline.

    ReplyDelete